Read Salvador P. Lopez’s essay “Literature and Society” and try to imagine and describe the kind of art Lopez values and the notion of art he opposes.
After reading the article, answer the following questions and be ready to post your answers (at least three sentences) in this discussion thread. Be prepared for follow-up questions, if any:
- How can art be practiced for its own sake, separate from society?
- Why is it detrimental to believe that art is a form of escape?
- Why is it important for art to address the “problems of [the artist’s] time”?
- What does Lopez mean when he said that writers and artists should be “teachers of men”?
- Why does Lopez think that the highest form of art is emancipatory?