In your initial post, respond to one of the following prompts:
- Outline the various approaches for the allocation of scarce human organs for transplantation. Of the approaches you found, which one do you believe is the most fair-minded? Use factual evidence and/or research to defend your choice.
- Direct consumer genetic testing has become popular. A consumer sends a DNA sample, such as saliva, to one of dozens of companies that provide information about common health traits or ancestry. What can these companies do with your data? Should companies be able to sell your data? Should a parent post their child’s DNA profile online? Discuss your thoughts using factual evidence and/or research to defend your position.
- Many major countries, including the United States, recruit healthcare professionals from around the world to supply nurses and doctors during times of shortages. Discuss the ethics of recruiting highly qualified staff, on a permanent basis, from foreign countries. While the United States benefits greatly, how does this affect the country the individual was recruited from? Ultimately, how is the world affected when professionals are recruited away from their home country? Discuss your thoughts using factual evidence and/or research to defend your position.
- Outline the opposing viewpoints related to human stem cell research. Discuss your own personal view related to stem cell research, using factual evidence and/or research to defend your position.
- An error occurred during surgery which, fortunately for the patient, was correctable. The patient was under anesthesia longer than expected and their length of stay in the hospital was extended. However, no long-term side effects were anticipated. Should the patient be notified of the error? Why or why not? Use facts and legal support to defend your position.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, many areas of the country had concerns about obtaining enough ventilators for patients. What factors should a hospital consider regarding which patients would receive ventilator treatment if not enough ventilators are available? Discuss your thoughts using factual evidence and/or research to defend your position.
- Conduct a search of whistleblowing cases in the healthcare field. Choose one of the cases and summarize the facts and the outcome. Do you feel the person who reported the wrongdoing (the whistleblower) was justified in doing so? Why or why not? Do you agree with the outcome of the case? Why or why not? Use facts and legal support to defend your position.