Understanding Microaggressions and Responding to Them in Social Work Practice
It is anticipated that the initial discussion post should be in the range of 250-300 words. Response posts to peers have no minimum word requirement but must demonstrate topic knowledge and scholarly engagement with peers. Substantive content is imperative for all posts. All discussion prompt elements for the topic must be addressed. Please proofread your response carefully for grammar and spelling. Do not upload any attachments unless specified in the instructions. All posts should be supported by a minimum of one scholarly resource, ideally within the last 5 years. Journals and websites must be cited appropriately. Citations and references must adhere to APA format.
Students are expected to address the initial discussion question by Wednesday of each week. Participation in the discussion forum requires a minimum of three (3) substantive postings (this includes your initial post and posting to two peers) on three (3) different days. Substantive means that you add something new to the discussion supported with citation(s) and reference(s), you are not just agreeing. This is also a time to ask questions or offer information surrounding the topic addressed by your peers. Personal experience is appropriate for a substantive discussion, however should be correlated to the literature.
All discussion boards will be evaluated utilizing rubric criterion inclusive of content, analysis, collaboration, writing and APA. If you fail to post an initial discussion or initial discussion is late, you will Please respond to the following question for your discussion post:
- Considering that microaggressions include intentional and unintentional slights and insults, think of a time(s) you have been guilty of committing acts of microaggression.
- What do your microaggressions tell you about your unconscious perceptions of marginalized and underrepresented groups?
- As a multicultural social worker, what is your strategy, when you are guilty of a microaggression? As a witness or observer?
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format.
Estimated time to complete: 2 hours
Please read and respond to at least two of your peers’ initial posts. Consider the following questions in your responses:
- How do your responses compare to your peers’? How are the the same or different?
- What advice can you offer to your peers based on their responses?