Create a new discussion post and submit something from the media (e.g., YouTube video, clip from movie/tv show, article, blog post, social media screenshot/link) related to one or more of the prevailing norms for behavior in U.S. culture (norms are expectations or standards; so, for example, think about how people are expected to behave on public transportation, when going on a date, or interacting with their boss). Your piece of media does not need to specifically address expectations related to gender. Your post should include:
- A title for your source at the top of your post in bold. Either use the title that your source uses or, if there is a not a title, please create one (e.g., “Blog post about elevator behavior”).
- An APA reference for your source. Please see the APA Quick Guide for our course for more information on how to create references.
- A way to access your media. Either include a hyperlink or embed it into your discussion post.
- A two sentence summary of your piece of media. Your summary should include the format (e.g., video clip, comedy skit, image), the main focus of the piece, and a note about general content (e.g., contains violence, mentions sexual content, food mentioned). Basically, think about a TV Guide-type summary of your media: would there be any parental warnings? What kinds of content would we expect to see?
- For example: “This is a video clip of a comedy show done by X. The focus is people X has interacted with in their apartment building and it mentions violence and sex.” OR “This is a blog post about etiquette at weddings. It covers things like how to dress, gift giving, and food/drink.”