INTERNATIONAL APPROACHES TO AGING
Aging includes the cognitive, physical, and social-emotional changes that occur during late adulthood. Varying cultures take different approaches to aging. At the same time, individuals within these cultures and societies may have varied and distinctly personal views regarding aging. When addressing aging in late adulthood, one must also address death, dying, and bereavement. Religious and spiritual beliefs, gender, personality, and coping style can all impact an individual’s responses to and beliefs about death (Berk, 2023). Today, web-based virtual cemeteries are a new way for people to connect and grieve with each other, even when separated by distance. Nonetheless, varying cultures approach aging in many different ways.
For this Discussion, you will examine how different countries approach aging.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Consider how different countries approach aging. As you consider different countries, think about the following:
- Do older adults live with their children, or are they more likely to live in a nursing home?
- Are older adults seen as wise individuals to be respected and revered, or are they a burden to their family and to society?
- Next, select two different countries and compare and contrast their approaches to aging.
Post and identify each of the countries you selected. Then, explain two similarities and two differences in how the countries approach aging. Be specific and provide examples. Use your Learning Resources to support your post. Use proper APA format and citations.
- Berk, L. E. (2023). Development through the lifespan (7th ed.). Sage.
- Chapter 17, Physical and Cognitive Development in Late Adulthood (pp. 568-605)
- Chapter 18, Emotional and Social Development in Late Adulthood (pp. 608-639)
- North, M. S., & Fiske, S. T. (2015). Modern attitudes toward older adults in the aging world: A cross-cultural meta-analysis Links to an external site.. Psychological Bulletin, 141(5), 9931021. doi:10.1037/a0039469
- National Institute of Health. (n.d.). National Institute on Aging Links to an external site.. Retrieved August 26, 2016, from http://www.nia.nih.gov
- Document: Final Project Assignment Overview document Download Final Project Assignment Overview document(PDF)