I’m working on a english question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
Write a paragraph or two addressing one or more of he following questions:
1) What is the nature of the relationship between Amelia Vanek (Essie Davis), Samuel Vanek (Noah Wiseman), Oskar Vanek, and why is the relationship the way it is?
2) Samuel chooses the book, The Babadook. Amelia suggests that they read another book, but Samuel insists, “But you said I could choose” – why does Samuel insist on this book?
3) What is the Babadook? Why is the figure of the Babadook costumed the way he is?
4) These lines appear in Samuel’s book. Any thoughts on how they connect us to either Ameila (the mother) or Sam (the son)?
“If it’s in a word or it’s in a look,
You can’t get rid of the Babadook.
If you’re a really clever one
And you know what it is to see,
Then you can make friends with a special one,
A friend of you and me.
His name is Mister Babadook
And this is his book.
A rumbling sound then three sharp knocks
Ba BA-ba DOOK! DOOK! DOOK!
That’s when you’ll know that he’s around
You’ll see him if you look.
This is what he wears on top
He’s funny, don’t you think?
See him in your room at night
And you won’t sleep a wink.
I’ll soon take off my funny disguise
(take heed of what you’ve read…)
And once you see what’s underneath
YOU’RE GOING TO WISH YOU WERE DEAD.
I’ll wager with you
I’ll make you a bet.
The more you deny,
The stronger I get.
You start to change when I get in.
The Babadook growing right under your skin.
Oh come, come see!
5) What is the significance of the ending of the movie? Pay particular attention to the fact that Amelia has planted a rose over the body of the dog, that she praises Samuel for practicing with his weapons, that she feeds the babadook, and that Samuel performs a final magic trick.