1. Lovins describes current patterns of energy consumption. What percentage of US energy comes from fossil fuels? What is most oil used for? What is most electricity used for?
2. Answer one of these questions: (a) What is Lovins’ plan for getting transportation off fossil fuels by 2050? OR (b) What is Lovins’ plan for reducing energy consumption in buildings?
3. “Peak oil” usually refers to the point where supplies of petroleum peak and begin to decline. How does Lovins use the term “peak oil?”
4. After viewing this video, what policies do you think are necessary to bring about the “carbon-neutral” energy system that Lovins claims is possible? Hint: here’s one discussed by Lovins: “feebates.” Based on the video and PowerPoint, try to identify 3-5 policies to accelerate the transition to alternative energy. You might also review the Policy Brief video on the new climate law provided in Week 1 for ideas on this.
5. List and briefly discuss what you view as three of the most important actions to bring about a Net Zero energy future. Do you think we will achieve a net zero energy system by 2050? Why? Why not?